- 2 C. very ripe sweet cherries
- 1 1/4 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. water
- 1 large egg
- 1 C. half and half
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 3 C. heavy cream
- Place the cherries, sugar and water in the top of a double boiler. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, to allow the fruit to soften. Take out 1/2 C. of the cherries and drain the juices back into the pan. Puree the rest of the cherries. Roughly chop the 1/2 C. of cherries and mix back into the puree. Chill.
- Add the half and half and egg to a blender and blend until smooth. Whisk in chilled cherry mixture. Add the heavy cream and vanilla. Blend well. Chill.
- Transfer mixture to your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Makes slightly more than 1 quart.